For online only campaigns, we can use our Pre-Authorisation service.
Note, this method is not available for clients using tablets at events – it is only available for online campaigns.
If you would like to find out about our full payment collection service available to Premium clients, follow this article: How does Givergy collect payment?
What is pre-authorisation?
Pre-Authorisation is a payment method whereby all bidders would be required to register their card details on the Givergy system at the point of of registering.
Their card details are then stored securely on the Givergy system (within Stripe) until the end of the auction, when their cards can then be charged should they win an item.
Note, the Givergy website does make it very clear that no money will be charged unless they are the winning bidder.
How to charge guests card’s post-campaign?
Firstly, you need to sell the auction items. Follow this article to find out how: How to sell your auction items
Once your items are sold, to charge the winning bidders cards follow the below steps:
- Login to the Campaign Management System and select your event. How to log into the CMS?
- From the tabs in the left menu, select payments > guests
- You will see the final column titled ‘card’ – if this is ticked, it means we have the card on file. If you had pre-auth on from the beginning of your campaign this will be ticked for all bidders.
- In the first column you will see you can tick the small box next to each guest name. This will select the guests you wish to charge. To select all guests, tick the box next to ‘select’ at the top.
- Once everyone is selected, hit charge. You will see the payment status of guests go from ‘not paid’ to ‘paid’. This will send the ‘payment thank you’ SMS & Email to everyone.
- Some guest’s payments may be unsuccessful, if this is the case their status will remain as ‘unpaid’. The most common reason for this is the bank rejected the payment. We suggest you contact the guest to explain payment did not process. Wait 24 hours before attempting to charge the card again, otherwise you risk doubling up.
Global Client Services Manager at Givergy
Ella heads up the global Fundraising & Events team. A key part of Givergy’s growth for four years, Ella has a passion for event planning and ensuring her and her teams’ clients exceed their fundraising targets. Furthermore, Ella’s exposure to some of the highest-profile fundraising events gives her a unique insight into the newest and most innovative way in which charities are engaging with their audiences.
The Ultimate List of Tennis Club Fundraising Ideas
May 23, 2023
Winter Fundraising: Embracing The Giving Season
May 15, 2023
How To Create The Ultimate Mystery Box Fundraiser
May 10, 2023
Top 5 Creative Fall Fundraising Ideas
April 7, 2023
Step by Step Guide to Creating A Successful Bingo Fundraiser
April 1, 2023